Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Autiques Antiques Antiques

I grew up spending my weekends at my grandparents antique booth in Allegan, Michigan.  I remember how I would walk with my parents to view different booths.  Not really appreciating the structure and history behind each piece {lets face it, I was 10 and wished I would have been able to sleep in}. If my grandparents were not selling antique furniture, they were refinishing it. One of my favorite things about my grandpa was the way refinished antique pieces.  The care and value he took in every piece he refinished. 

  And then it started...

I have one hour for lunch each day.  One of my favorite things to do on lunch is go down the road to a local shop called, Antiques & More by Fretta.  Its one of those places where if you are not careful, you could pass by the most amazing mirror, mint conditioned antiqued suit case or heaven for bid, a LIFE Magazine with James Dean or Marilyn Monroe's face on the cover.  I usually take the time to go through the old records to see if I get lucky and come across one that says, 'THE BEATLES'.  I've been told that I have an old soul. 

 Anymore you have to be cautious about things that you pick up at "antique" stores.  There used to be an "age" limit on the items that can be priced and sold as antiques but I have found lately that people are selling pieces that are in no way, shape or form antique.  As a matter of fact, I made a purchase today that I promise you was probably purchased somewhere like Pier One a few years ago and repainted.   Most of the time you can tell by the kind of wood, how it is stained and it might possibly  be stamped with a date.  Glass pieces are also usually marked as well. 

Here is a picture of my new "antique" wine rack.  Who doesn't love a cute wine rack!


If you have never been into a local Antique shop near where you live, stop in one day just to look around!  I can almost guarantee that you will find something that you love, and if not...you didn't look hard enough!



2 comments: